Saturday, June 24, 2023

Calf 14 - Day 3

Day 3, calf missing again.   This morning I checked on the two cows and calves and couldn't find cow 10's calf.  I walked around and around the fruit tree area.  No calf.  Cow 10 seemed fine and not missing her calf.  Where is the calf?

I checked the NE pasture where I found the calf yesterday.  No calf.  I walked along the NE pasture and the fruit tree area fence to the road.  No calf.  I checked the road's ditch and found the calf in the ditch under the branches of the buffaloberry tree that sits in the corner of the fruit tree area.

I opened the gate to the NE pasture and when I approached the calf, he ran inside the NE pasture.  Then along the fence to the area where yesterday he slipped under the corral panel.  He desperately tried to go through the corral panel.  I moved the corral panel end and he ran inside to his mother and started to drink from her.

Why doesn't he stay in the fruit tree area with his mother?   At least for the rest of today, he did.

See the calf in the first photo?   Second photo... there he is.


Also this morning, one of the panels protecting the rhubarb plants was moved so the cows could get to the rhubarb plants.  The cows had unhooked the wires holding the panels in place.  Fortunately they weren't able to get to most of the rhubarb plants. That is because rhubarb leaves can be harmful to eat.



And I found this calf laying in the rhubarb area.

No comments: