Thursday, June 22, 2023

Calf 14 - 10's

This morning I found my last calf had been born.  I'm not sure when as the mother no longer had her afterbirth.  Could have been early last night.

The calf is a male.    That makes 8 males and 6 females born this year.

Look at the color of the calf.  Red.   The mother is black and Haynes is black.  So red?  Then I thought about it.  Haynes's mother was black and his father was red.  So he has some red genes in him.  Cow 10's is black, but her mother was red.  And her grandmother was red.  So she has red genes in her.  Last year cow 10 had a black calf.

Trying to see if the calf was a male or female this morning was hard.  The calf had energy and kept running away and I couldn't lift its leg to look.  But running after the calf and looking, finally I saw his scrotum hanging down.

This afternoon Donna came over to help me band and ear tag the calf.  The calf had just drunk from his mother and was laying down.  I was able to grab hm and hold him down before he could get up to run away.

Donna like's Haynes' calves.  His male's scrotums are larger than Toby's calves were, and it is easier for Donna to make sure that both balls are banded.


Trying to reach the calf to check if it is a male or female.







Cow 60 and her calf share the fruit tree area.  Now calf 13 will have a companion to play with.  Calf 13 was born 20 days ago.  You can see he has been growing.


I will keep these two cows and calves in the fruit tree area to eat the grass down.  That should last less than a week.  Then they can go and join the other cows and calves in the pasture.

No comments: