Sunday, June 11, 2023

Hawthorn thorns in my shoes

I'm still working on getting rid of some of my Hawthorn trees in the SW corner.  It's slow going.

A few days ago I felt a bump in one of my shoes.  I thought a small rock got into the shoe.  When I checked for the rock I found a hawthorn thorn was stuck into the sole of my shoe.  The thorn's tip didn't quite break into the inside of the shoe.  The bump from the hawthorn thorn trying to break through was what I thought was a rock.

Since then I have been wearing my muck boots when working with hawthorns.  Well....   this afternoon I climbed over a gate instead of unlocking and opening and closing the gate.  When I hit the ground I felt a slight prick in my foot.  I looked and found a hawthorn thorn had gone into the sole of my boot and the tip of the hawthorn thorn reached inside the boot.

The muck boot.

Here is the boot and the hawthorn thorn I had felt.   It doesn't take much of a branch for the thorn to grow big and strong.



I looked some more at both boots and found many more thorns stuck into the boot.  Here are some of the thorns I pulled out of the boot using a plier.


I'm getting nearer to the end of my hawthorn work for now.  I can't wait.

No comments: