Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Weaning has started

This afternoon Donna helped me get the calves into the corral.  Time to start weaning most of the calves.  I decided this year to sell the calves at auction on October 6 instead of waiting to the end of October.  The two calves born in late June and July are too small to sell this year.  I will keep them and sell them in the Spring when they are bigger.  I plan to keep Maria's heifer born mid-June.  I am not weaning Maria's calf yet as she is still small.  I plan to sell Maria and Speckles in two or three weeks and I will then wean Maria's calf.

Calves to be weaned.



Maria and her calf.


Cows outside the corral mooing for their calves.



While this is a heifer, this is the only heifer I won't keep as a replacement heifer even though she looks nice.  That is because she is Speckle's calf.  Speckle had a vaginal prolapse this Spring before having this calf.  I don't want to risk that the calf inherited this trait.

No comments: