Saturday, September 03, 2022

Fruit tree area

This afternoon I prepared the fruit tree area for the cattle.  Not as much to do as I did in the NE pasture, but still some work.

This is a cherry tree.  I planted it over 15 years ago.  The cattle have abused it a few times over the years.  Mainly the tree would kind of die off a number of times and then come back from the ground.  I'm not sure why I keep putting up with this tree.  Since it again came from the ground this year, I took down the large fencing and put in place small fencing to protect the tree from the cattle.



This is the small pear tree.  If you remember, this Spring the cattle got around the fencing and ate many of the tree's leaves.  This time I put some small/narrow rolls of fencing around the tree in addition to the large fencing the cattle got around this Spring.



The large pear tree is producing many pears this year.  Unlike my apple trees which are producing no apples this year.  The apple trees of the neighbors are producing many apples for the cattle this year.

The large pear tree is odd.  It is more growing up and not out.


The pears are weighing some branches down.  I removed these pear as I don't want the cattle to reach them, or the branches.


Once I finished the protection I let the cattle in.  A few cows were nearby, and they came walking over when I opened the gate and would not reclose it.  The other cattle further away saw this and came over quickly.  They mooed and the cattle in the corral who couldn't see the fruit tree area heard and they came running.

I closed my driveway gate as I don't trust the cattle not breaking the old fence to the yard.  I started the rebuild of this fence to become a rail fence last Fall.  I thought I would have finished the rebuild this Spring, or at least by now.  But, of course, no.  Another project for this Fall once I get a few other things done.

No comments: