Friday, September 30, 2022

Fifth and sixth tree stumps removed in 2022

Back during the first week of August I burnt the last tree stumps I had dug around this past Spring.  Due to our wet Spring, and then my other projects, I didn't get around to burning these tree stumps earlier.  But my irrigation lines were getting closer and I wanted the stumps gone before they got soaked.

Initially when I started digging I thought this would be only one tree stump.  But as I dug I followed a side root and then discovered another big tree stump not far away.  This second tree stump was just under the ground and not visible above ground.  Both stumps were solid.  When I later used a chainsaw against the tree stumps I had dug that Spring, I could only cut some side parts of these stumps.  The main stumps were too hard to chainsaw.

I expected this would be another multiple evenings of bonfires to completely get rid of these stumps.  But one bonfire and the next day the stumps were mostly gone.  The ashes smoldered/burnt another day and then the stumps were gone.

I had dug around this stump.  But you can see the cattle stepped on the ground next to the stump and pushed it down to the stump.  I had to re-dig the ground away from the stump.



Stumps were dug.  Second photo shows what I removed with the chainsaw.



A full moon was out.



Now time for the bonfire.  I didn't place a lot of branches on the stumps for the bonfire, but the branches burnt fast and high initially.








Now you can see the burning stumps.




This shows how close the two stumps were to each other.




With these stumps gone, less stumps to harrow around next year.  I have a small number of stumps left in the pastures.  I planned to leave the rest for the cattle to rub against, and not burn any more stumps.   But wait... what could possibly happen on another day?

No comments: