Monday, September 05, 2022

Cattle back to north pasture

This morning I got up early (for me) to let the cattle back to the north pasture. They had eaten down the grass in the NE pasture and fruit tree area pretty well.

This photo is of my rhubarb area.  The rhubarb was done growing for the year so there was nothing for the cattle to eat but some weeds I hadn't removed yet.  So I didn't put up fencing to protect the area.  I guess I should have.  The weeds are gone.  I didn't look but I think the rhubarb roots are still there.  Otherwise the cattle used the area for a dirt bath.



This is one of the cherry trees.  You can't see it but I wrapped the lower tree leaves with a small chicken wire type of fencing.  The cattle pushed under the outer fencing and then pushed up the small chicken wire fencing to eat what leaves they could get to.



I had a small section of wire on top of this wire and added a few pieces of wire to hold it in place.  It didn't work.  I found the small section of wire elsewhere and the leaves that stick out of this wire eaten.  The cattle tried to move the lower wire but the posts held it in place. 

I had a few other small trees with wire and posts.  I see the cattle tried to push and move those wires as the posts were tilted, but they held and protected the small trees.



The small pear tree survived.



I found this on the fencing around the large pear tree.



I had a few box elder trees in the fruit tree area.  I like when the cattle eat the lower leaves and new green branches as I then don't have to prune them.


The cattle pushed a temporary corral panel I am using as fence and bent it.



The protection I did in the NE pasture worked as the cattle didn't get to any of the trees there.  Now that the cattle are out of the NE pasture, this afternoon I removed the wire fencing on several of the trees.  For these trees I will expand the fencing as the trees were crowded inside the fencing.  I will do it later.  Most likely, though that is not the plan, it will be just before I let the cattle back into the NE pasture someday.


This is my old round baler.  It uses twine to wrap the bales.   Whenever the cattle are in the NE pasture they have access to the baler.  This time the cattle pulled as much of the twine as they could put of the baler.  I have the end of the twine tied to the baler grill.    That didn't stop the cattle.  They pulled and pulled on the twine, and the twine went through the placeholders and out of the bale of twine in the baler's side box.  I had twine wrapped around the end of the baler and then around the tractor bucket, and then out way across the NE pasture.   It took me over 10 minutes to pull the twine back into the bale of twine.   Those cattle!!!


I got 99% of the twine pulled back into the bale of twine.  I had to stop when I got to this chewed up knot of twine from the cattle chewing on the twine.


Here is another photo of the tree I trimmed yesterday.

Before... and after.

No comments: