Monday, May 31, 2021

Calf 14 - Maria's

I had a surprise today.  Maria had her calf.  Last year she and Diamond had their calves in July, so this year I expected them to calve in June.  But Maria had her calf July 2 last year.  So having calf the last day of May this year is normal.  I'm not sure when the calf was born.  I usually make sure the cattle's water trough is full when I go to bed.  That is usually after 1 am.  Last night I could hear in the dark a cow occasionally mooing.   That might have been Maria calving.

The new calf is a bull calf.   That makes if 9 females and 5 males so far this year.  So Donna helped me band the calf to turn it into a steer.  The calf is big and long.  Donna later noticed his front legs look odd.  The calf can walk.  But maybe the tendons aren't fully developed yet.





No comments: