Friday, May 07, 2021

Corral fence pipe and river otters

Yesterday when I worked on my tractor I also spent time to fix the pipe I have running on one of the corral fences.  I have fixed this in April 2020 after Toby bent the pipe.  (https://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2020/04/toby-pushing.html)

Photos after I fixed it yesterday. I had to re-nail new boards over the pipe as the previous boards were broken off this post.  I had to straighten the pipe (somewhat) and put the two pieces of pipe back together the best I could.



Tonight after I put a new large hay bale out for the cows I noticed the pipe was back into two pieces and bent again somewhat.  The boards holding the pipe was still good.  I can't screw the two pieces of pipe back together so I'll see if they stay together under the board or if they separate again if Toby pushes on and bends the pipe again.


Earlier this evening, when taking a break after chopping and removing another tree stump, I saw three animals in the south pasture.  They were heading into the pasture from the river.  I think they are river otters.  My neighbor across the road and along the creek said he saw three river otters sometime earlier this year.  I've only seen one otter in the river and that was a few years ago.  I don't think any otters live near here.  A few days ago I saw either a small beaver or more likely a large muskrat swimming upstream in the river.

The otters were in the south pasture but after going around a bit came over into the middle pasture before heading to the hayfield.  I think the otters were going back to the creek.  It is amazing they knew where the creek was as it is low and can't be seen until one is almost there; and the distance from my river to the creek must be over a half mile at least.

My camera's battery gave out.  I could only take a photo when they were in the south pasture and couldn't take another photo when they got somewhat closer.  Darn.   The otters were quite amazing to watch as they walked - their way of walking - across my pastures.  And they can move fast when walking on land.

The otters as seen from where I was sitting.

On the computer I cropped the photo so you can kind of see two of the otters in the center of the photo.  The third otter was behind the tree when I took the photo.

No comments: