Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Pocket gopher trapped and calves break-in

Still working on tree stumps in the middle pasture.  A few days ago I noticed a fresh pocket gopher dirt mound in the middle of the middle pasture. Yesterday I finally remembered to bring a few pocket gopher traps out there.  By then there were four dirt mounds.  But only one mound had a tunnel.  I guess the other mounds were a test.  I set the trap and this morning I got the pocket gopher.

Since the pocket gopher was in the middle of the middle pasture I figured there would be fresh mounds and pocket gophers in the south pasture close to Wyatt's field.  I searched this morning and found no dirt mounds.  A bit of a surprise, but that is good.


This evening when I put out another large hay bale for the cattle I noticed all the calves were in the loading ramp area.  They were eating the grass growing in there.  I assume it was a cow that pushed off the bottom two boards in the east fence of the loading ramp area.  Again the boards were placed on the posts in loading ramp area to keep the cattle in the area, not expecting the cattle would try to break into the area.  But the cows still couldn't get through the opening they made.  But the calves could!

Once the cows were eating hay I opened the loading corral gate to let the calves out.  They were excited and most ran out of the loading ramp area and into the corral like lightning.  I had to herd the last couple of calves out of the loading ramp area.  One heifer calf was so excited she kneeled on the ground and rubbed her head and face in the grass in front of me.  Like she was on catnip.

As I started to nail the boards back to the railroad tie posts one heifer calf pushed on the board causing me to drop the board and then the calf got back into the loading corral.  I got her out of the corral again and this time got the boards nailed back to the posts.   Most of the calves stood and stared and watched me re-nail the boards.  I think they were bummed I was fixing the fence.

No comments: