Monday, May 10, 2021

Stumps 8 and 9 for the year

I want to be done removing tree stumps this year.  However after I removed stump 7 I then came across stumps 8 and 9 poking out of the ground.      I don't know why this year I am finding a number of stumps poking now out of the ground.  I found more stumps this Spring than I did the previous 10 to 20 years in total.

Okay...  let me check these new stumps out.

Stump 8 was soft and decaying on top.  So I used the shovel and axe and removed the top so many inches.  I called it good as I don't think it will bother my harrow now.  Maybe the rest of the stump will decay before coming up out of the ground.




Stump 9 was more work.  Fortunately it wasn't near as much work as my recent stump removals.

In the center of the photo you can see signs of the stump.  I had hoped it might only just be the remnants of an old tree root.  Nope.  To see what I had hoped this was, see the last photos to see what I found after removing the stump and filling the hole back in.



Some days I dug until dark, that is why the hole looks different.




I thought the side root going from the last part of the stump was low enough in the ground that I would leave it.  Nope.  Instead of going down as it left the stump, I later found that the side root went up.




After I filled the dirt back into the hole and was about to take this photo, I saw the side root at the top of the ground.  I removed it.  The side root was what I had hoped the stump would only be back when I first saw the stump.



No comments: