Friday, May 21, 2021

Loading corral fence fix, then calf trapped

This morning I added a board in the ground to prevent the cattle from pushing off the bottom two loading corral fence boards again.  The reddish board is what I added.


Also this morning I tried to give a couple of calves some grass I had pulled from the yard.  Some cows heard and saw what was happening and ran over to eat the grass.  The cows usually push the calves off to the side so they can eat the grass.  Today I stood there and waved the reddish board in the air to keep the cows away while the calves ate the grass.  The cows did not like me preventing them from getting to the grass.  A few cows gave me the evil eye.  #8 was one of the cows.  I took this photo of her later after I pounded the board into the ground.


Then this evening when I was about to put out another large hay bale I saw a calf laying motionless on the ground with her head under the loading corral fence.  I initially thought the calf was dead, but she was alive.  I guess she was laying still as she was tired from trying to get her head out from under the fence.  I have no idea how she got her head through and under the fence.   I couldn't get her head out.  I went and got a shovel.  When I returned a number of cattle were around the calf and I had to chase them off as I didn't want them to accidently hurt the calf when they checked the calf out.   I had to dig a hole under the fence right next to the calf and then slide the calf's neck and board over to the spot, then push her head through the fence.  The calf got up.  She appears to be fine.

After I put the hay bale out and let the cattle out of the corral, this calf remained standing in the corral.  I think she was taking it easy and didn't want to run and jostle with the other calves for now.  I don't think she will put her head under the fence again in an effort to reach the grass on the other side.  

No comments: