Saturday, May 15, 2021

Seeding Donna's field

Donna replanted about 5 acres of her pasture.  To make it easier to plant the seeds we borrowed the seeder from Chris that I had used to plant my hayfield in 2018.  

The tires were low so the rollers touched the ground and made lots of noise on the road as I pulled the seeder.  Donna put air in the tires so the rollers barely touched the ground and it was much quieter to pull the seeder back to Chris's place. One takes the tires off the seeder when planting.

The ground was dry and the wind was blowing, so lots of dust covered the air as I pulled the seeder in the field.  I had to blow the dust off the tractor when I was done.

Donna also planted oats along with the alfalfa/grass mix.  The oat seeds are larger and they went in the larger bins and the smaller alfalfa/grass seeds went into the smaller bins.   The seeder is very old and the control levers for the larger bins didn't work.  So the oats were planted too fast and we ran out before all the field was planted.  The alfalfa/grass seeds were planted just fine and we has some seeds left at the end.

Now to see how the plants will grow.


No comments: