Thursday, May 06, 2021

Tractor leak

Today I finally fixed a leak on my tractor.  The transmission/hydraulic fluid had a slow leak when I ran my tractor.  The mechanic who is fixing my fuel gage problem was going to fix the leak, but then said when the fuel gage problem wasn't where he thought it initially was, he wasn't sure I then wanted him to open that area to fix the leak.  Yes, but okay...  I guess I'll then fix it.

The leak wasn't quite where the mechanic initially thought it was.  The area I found the leak on the engine was greasy, grimy, and dirty.  My neighbor Curtis has a pressure washer and I used that to clean my engine.  As best I could. The grease only was cleaned under direct water impact and not quite everywhere was accessible, even though I lifted the tractor's hood.

Once the area was mostly cleaned - and dry - then the next day I could see exactly where the leak was.  The leaks were where the green nozzles go into the small black metal.


I then learned I had to take the tractor's hood off to really get to the problem area.  That was an effort as I had to watch a YouTube video to see exactly how to get the hood off.

I then had to bungie cord up the hood's lever where the hood had been attached to as the lever was partially in the way of where I needed to work.





And I had to also remove a small part of the hood that is fastened next to the cab.  



Since the leak was where the green nozzles fit into the small black metal unit, my neighbor Curtis told me he thought the nozzles' O-rings were bad.  I took the nozzles out.



To me the O-Rings still looked good.  But what do I know?  On the way to the hardware store I drove by my neighbor Wyatt's place and he was out working in his garage. Wyatt knows a lot about engine repairs.  I asked him about the O-rings and he thought they looked a little flat.   He also told me where to get new O-rings.  Not at a hardware store, but at a store that sold parts for engines and hydraulics.  Their O-rings would stand up better and last longer for hydraulic engines.  So I did.   The salesman sold me two O-rings for 35 cents a piece and put them on my nozzles.  What a deal!

In the photo below the new O-rings are on the nozzles and the old O-rings are below the nozzles.


After I re-installed the nozzles the leaks stopped.  Hurray.

Then when watching the engine run to make sure the leak had stopped I then noticed a very small leak/wet area on the other side of the engine.  I had to use a flashlight to better see the area as that area was right against the cab.  It is in an area that I don't know how one gets to.  When I take my tractor back next week to get the fuel gage fixed after the part arrives, I will have the mechanic look at this next area.

It never ends.

No comments: