Saturday, May 29, 2021

Tree stumps 3 and 4 for the year

Today I finally removed the last tree stump I plan to remove this year.  I removed more stumps than I expected and took longer than I expected.

Here are some photos of the first tree stumps I burnt earlier this year to remove.  They are called "3" and "4" as that is in the order that I dug around them.


Yup.  These stumps are ones that I didn't know I had.  I was walking over to working on another tree stump when I saw this stump.   "Why remove the stumps?", you ask.  Because my harrow's spikes could catch on the stumps and break off.
 


Still doesn't look like much of a tree stump.  This is the stump on the right in a later photo.



Here you can see two tree stumps near one another.  I found the tree stump on the left because I followed the tree root in between the two stumps.



On the left are the tree roots I chopped off in order to dig around the stumps.



A number of bonfire photos.  While this may seem like a lot of bonfire photos, I took even more photos.  It took some effort to decide which ones to keep and which to toss.














The next morning.  As you can see one stump is still smoldering.

Days later.  The smoldering stump is now gone.

Then we had our rainy period.  The dirt pile was wet through and through.  So it took a number of days to get the dirt back into the hole.



Filled in.  You can see where the dirt pile had been as it killed the grass.  It took over five weeks from when I started the dig to the time I eventually filled the hole back in.  You can tell in these later photos, versus the earlier photos, how green the grass became and has grown.



You can see how close these stumps were to the other stumps.  The two areas in the back where the stumps I could easily see and planned to remove this year.  The dirt pile in the middle was another one of those stumps I later found when the stumps started to pop to the top of the ground.


And here is a 1:32 video of parts of the bonfire: https://youtu.be/urKtx1b_hfk

No comments: