Saturday, March 27, 2021

Toby and a post

Toby... Toby... Toby... what am I gonna do with you?

After I let the cattle out of the corral late this afternoon so they could go and eat from the hay bale I had just put out in the north pasture, I looked over to the part of the corral where Toby, Red, Little Red, and their calves are, and I saw that one of the posts that hold up the roof over the area next to the barn was leaning.




While you can't tell from the photos, part of the top of the post is cut so that the roof boards rest on the post.  The roof boards were nailed to the post by two long big nails.  Toby pushed the post away from the roof and nails.

I had to use the tractor to lift the roof up so that I could put the post under the roof and re-nail the post to the roof.  I used two more long large nails in addition to the two other nails.

I had to keep an eye on Toby while I worked on fixing the post as he was acting up.  I don't know if his behavior was because a cow was in heat and now that they went to the pasture to eat hay, Toby was now jumping around and checking things out.  He started to rub on the tractor; first the tires, then the loader arm.



I got into the tractor cab since Toby was acting up.



Then Toby went round and began to use the hay bale spear to scratch his back.


Here is a 43 second video of Toby scratching against the bale spear: https://youtu.be/G-c1ghSZPiE

Getting the tractor out of the corral was time consuming.  Toby kept following and occasionally rubbing on the tractor.  So I had to wait a while until he lost interest and walked away.  Then I could open the gate and drive out of the corral.

No comments: