Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Calf 5 - 80's

Yesterday afternoon calf 5 was born when the cattle were in the corral.  I didn't notice until after I had put out another large hay bale.  So it was later in the day, and by the time I was put an ear tag on the calf, and banded the calf to castrate him, it was too late to take photos of the calf.  I took the photos this morning.

The calf is the first male calf this year.   Look at his head.   He has the Toby and Angus look.








Cow 80 is the cow that was born with no tail.  So it is harder for her to get rid of flies.  All of her calves are normal, and have tails.


Before Donna and I worked on the calf, I let the rest of the cattle out of the corral so they could go and eat from the new hay bale.  The previous calf born, number 8's calf, didn't want to leave the corral and didn't follow the rest of the cattle out of the corral.  I left the gate open so he could later leave the corral.  After I worked on the new calf it was starting to get dark.  I didn't see the previous calf so I closed the gate.

This morning I found the previous calf in the corral and her mother on the other side of the corral fence, outside the corral.  I open the corral gate and let them be together and the calf started drinking form her mother.

After I took photos of the new calf I let him and his mother now leave the corral.  They walked together and mother left the corral.  The new calf went over to look at the other calf and that mother.  The new calf wouldn't listen to his mother, so she left and went to eat from the hay bale on the other side of the pasture.






After the calf was done drinking, and when the mother wanted the leave the corral, the calves wanted to stay in the corral.  I had to herd the calves out of the corral so they could be with the mother, and I could then close the corral gate.



No new calves born today when I checked.

No comments: