Tuesday, March 09, 2021

Switch and fight

This afternoon I planned on putting out another large hay bale.  Prior to that I put some small hay bales in the corral so the cattle would be there while I put out a large hay bale.  Sugar and her calf are doing fine, but I wanted them in the south corral so the new calf wouldn't have to be around the rest of the herd in the corral as there is not as much room to move around as there is out in the pasture.

It was easy to get Sugar and her calf in the south corral.  Sugar went to eat at the feeder there.  As I put out small hay bales to prepare for the rest of the cattle, I noticed Sugar was now fighting with Speckles and cow #60.  Once again the females fight.  I think that Sugar didn't want the other calves or cows checking out her calf.





The fight didn't last too long. The cows went their separate ways.

Then I let the rest of the cattle into the main corral.



After I put out the large hay bale in the afternoon, I let the cows out to eat.  Toby is a slow walker and was last so I closed the gate before he reached it.  Then I put him in the south corral.  Then I let the three cows and their calves out to join the other cows in the pasture.  I left Muscles in the corral with Toby.  Muscles is getting taller but he needs to eat more to get fat.

With only Toby and Muscles in the corral I now have room in case I need to put a new calf and her mother in the south corral for a short while.  The temperature forecast for the upcoming week has highs in the low 40s and overnight lows in the 20s.

After the cows and calves joined the rest of the cows the calves went crazy and ran around and around checking things out.  The mothers were concerned and for a little while I could see more fighting by the mother cows.

No comments: