Thursday, March 25, 2021

Calf 9 - 90's

 Late Monday afternoon calf 9 was born. Another cutie. It is a heifer calf.  It was late enough in the day I didn't have time to make an ear tag for the calf.  Mother and calf were laying in the pasture in an open area where a feeder was at one time.  I checked after sundown and they were still out there.  Rain and cold temperatures were in the forecast.  So I walked the calf over to lay under a tree overnight.  The mother followed. 

The next morning I found them under a different tree near the one I put the calf under.  The calf was laying between a tree and an old tree stump




Mother telling me to stop taking pictures of her and her calf.


In the afternoon Donna came to help me tag the calf's ear.  The cattle were all at the west end of the pasture near the feeder.  But we found 90's calf along the east pasture fence, near the old swather.




After we tagged the calf's ear she wanted to go find her mother.  But she went over to the corral to look for her mother.  Little Red was there, but not her mother.








So I herded the calf across the pasture over to where her mother was.  When 90 saw me and the calf coming she ran over from the hay feeder.  The calf immediately drank as she was hungry.


Here is a 1 minute 5 second video of the calf after she had her ear tagged: https://youtu.be/wXEW2QNvyyI

No comments: