Sunday, July 29, 2012

Kicked by a horse

This morning I found the horses got into mischief in the fruit tree area.  I had fenced off the raspberry bed but I found the fence half down and the bed eaten down.

Before and after:

While there are fences around the young trees the horses leaned over the top of the fences and bent them down to reach the trees and eat the leaves.  What's up with that?  I have had horses before and they left the trees alone.  I had fenced the young fruit trees to protect them from the cattle but the horses being taller leaned over the fences where the cattle couldn't.

The apricot tree used to have leaves all the way down.


I bent the fences back up and went about doing some fence work in the NE pasture.  Once the horses tired of checking me out while I worked on the fences, Stud, Lily and Firefeather went into the fruit tree area.  Stud and Lily ate grass but after a bit I saw Firefeather eating the leaves off a cherry tree.

The cherry tree.

Firefeather - the culprit - near an eaten plum tree.


I got upset and ran over to chase her away.  She didn't want to leave the tree so I yelled at her and ran closer to chase her away.  She turned and ran off but kicked back as she did striking me in the chest.

Ouch!  The impact knocked me to the ground but I got up.   I could breathe so I called out for Tammy but she was in the house and did not hear me.  I staggered to the house and a few minutes later I regained consciousness staring at the grass in the fruit tree area.

Here is where I was struck.



I am really sore.  Tammy wanted me to go to the hospital but in the past I have had fractured ribs and a fractured shoulder so I have some experience with this type of injury.  I may have a fractured rib cage or I may have a very bad bruise.  I'll see in a few days at how it feels and how quickly it starts to heal.

Right now lifting stuff is not an option.  I can take deep breaths so this is not as bad as when I fractured a lower rib.  My back muscles are starting to feel sore but that happens when a body takes a sudden sharp impact - other body muscles get sore.  Right now moving from position to position, sitting to standing, hurts.

I guess I'm going to be taking it easy for a while.

No comments: