Monday, July 02, 2012

Ceiling light / fan / heater is done

I finished installing the new ceiling light - fan - heater in my bathroom:
Harbor Breeze 3.0-Sone 80 CFM White Bath Fan

http://www.lowes.com/pd_194492-69305-7109-01-L_?productId=3273559&site=shopLocal&utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

When my uncles were here in May the unit was installed in the ceiling, but we couldn't get it to work.  We got the light to work.  The heater worked a time or two then quit.  The fan never worked.

Our efforts to troubleshoot the problem led to sparks from another wall outlet when we tried to bypass our wiring.  Also at times the unit seemed to have some stray current floating around it.

So we left it be (after turning off the breaker and power) so we could continue to work on other items in the bathroom - like the walls and floors!

Once I turned my attention back to the ceiling light - fan - heater I found:
  • the third switch (fan) did not work because the wire from the circuit breaker was not attached.  Because there were 3 switches (one for each part of the unit) the wire from the breaker was split into three wires inside the box holding the switches.  The third switch wire was a touch too short and would pull out of the junction when the switches were pushed back into the box.  I replaced the short wire with a longer wire and this solved this problem.  The fan now worked.
  • The heater:  the heater fan worked but the heating element would not generate heat.  I researched the heater on the internet.  A few other customers had issues with the heater.  I called the company (Homewerks) to ask about the heater not working - just in case there was a built-in thermostat.  I didn't really want to take the unit out of the ceiling and back to Lowe's.   Homewerks were very helpful and sent me a new replacement heater.  I got the new heater a few days ago and installed it and I have a working heater.
  • Once I got the replacement heater installed I thought I was about done.  The light glowed bright but that was how I thought it was designed.  I ran the light for a few minutes and the light bulb blew out.  Hmmm... guess I had an old light bulb.  I put a new bulb in and turned on the power and the bulb blew out right away.  Okay... something is wrong here.  I researched the internet to confirm my suspicion.
Yup. My suspicion was right. The unit was to have its own 20 amp circuit breaker. When we removed the two electric heaters from the bathroom and hall we now had two unused wires.  The breaker my uncle and I had selected was a double 20 amp circuit breaker.  Ooppps.   That meant we had hooked the ceiling unit to a 220 volt wire - not a 110 volt wire.  Too much power!
See the two breakers set to the off position in the photo below?   I had to re-wire it to be a 110 volt breaker.  To do that I only ran one (the black) wire into the breaker.  The white wire went into the ground bar on the right side of the box.

Everything now worked.  After seeing how bright the light used to be, the light now doesn't seem that bright.  It is better than having the light bulbs blow out.

Now that the light - fan - heater all worked I had one thing left to do: install the duct work in the attic.  Since Sunday was a rainy cooler day I decided to spent a few hours to do the duct work.  Over four hours later I was done.  Ya... four plus hours.  As usual nothing was easy.

One reason the work took longer than expected as because an add-on had been built on the house.  I had an old interior roof to go through to get to a wall to vent the fan.


The jigsaw blade lasted long enough to cut through the wooden shingles before my only blade broke.  After that I had to use a saw to cut through the 1 by 10 boards that made up the original roof.


The attic got hot from my work and I was sweating worse than a pig.  Even my camera was affected.


The view once I cleaned the camera lens.


The inner wall has been cut.  The outer wall is left to cut.


The finished duct work.


Here's how my ceiling light - fan - heater looks in the new bathroom.


The only thing left to do is add a little more mud around the bottom of the box holding the switches.  The box had a tilt when it was installed and once I put the face plate on there was a gap between the plate and wall at the bottom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

7109-01-l with date code starting with 0, 11, 12, or 13 has been Recalled.