Friday, July 13, 2012

Horses, jailbreak and love

Thursday morning as Tammy was getting ready for work she looked out the window at 6 am and noticed the horses were in the hayfield.

"Are the horses supposed to be in this pasture?"

No.  I got up out of bed and tried to get the horses back into the yard.  They had pushed against the fence's gate and bent the lock until the gate popped open.  Based on the tracks in the grass the horses had just entered the hayfield.  I tried to guide them back into the yard but as I guided one horse another horse would veer off.  When I went to guide that horse another horse veered off.  Then the horses had enough of my guiding and began to run.  "Cowgirl" (aka "The Bitch") even kicked up her back legs in my direction as she began to run.

I had to give up.

Even though our days have been hot this week the morning temperatures have been in the 50s and the dew was heavy.  My pants from the knees down were soaked from my short time in the tall wet grass.

The horses then went on a tear around the pasture.  They can run very fast.  Impressive, but for the fact I didn't want them in the hayfield.

When the horses settled down they ended up along the north fence that borders the corral and yard.  They were careful not to get too close to the open gate.

The cattle were not happy that the horses were in the hayfield.  They all bunched up to the hayfield fence and bellowed.  The horses didn't help matter by lingering on the hayfield side of the fence and eating.

A few hours later the horses came from the hayfield to the corral to drink water and I was able to close the hayfield gate and lock them out.  I added a chain to the gate and that problem has been solved.  Eventually the horses got over being locked out of the hayfield though they lingered along the fence for a long time.


Later when I was in the back yard the horses were in the front yard.  I noticed that "Stud" was trying to "service" either "Firefeather" or "Cowgirl" (aka "The Bitch") patiently standing there while Stud tried to balance while doing the deed.  Initially I thought the "lucky gal" was Firefeather but later in the day I noticed that Stud and the Bitch were getting along quite nicely.


Stud even was playfully biting The Bitch and she was fine with that.  She seems to like biting.  Maybe I should change her name from "Cowgirl" to "Kinkygirl".

"Love" must be in the air at the ranch now that the weather has warmed up.  While in the pasture I noticed that a handful of the heifers are in heat.  Steers... heifers... both sexes were trying to mount some of the heifers.  A few times it looked like a conga-line was going on.

No comments: