Saturday, December 01, 2007

Pumpkin 2007

Today I cooked my pumpkins and made 'paste' for later use in pumpkin bread or pie. I didn't have as many pumpkins from my garden this year but I still managed two full pots to cook. I think I ended up with over 30 cups of paste.

Several plants - from pumpkin seeds purchased this Spring when the other seeds ran out - grew into plants more like zucchini squash plants than pumpkin plants. By that I mean pumpkin plants send out long vines while zucchini squash plants do not.

The produce from the odd pumpkin plants looked like they were pumpkins. However inside the house the pumpkins from the pumpkin plant ripened to orange a while ago. The odd pumpkins are just now starting to turn orange. I cooked the one odd pumpkin most orange and yes, it is a pumpkin. I have five more that are more green than orange. I guess I will store them in my crawl space in hopes they will ripen slowly and not rot before I return in the Spring.

The strainer (Victorio) is one recommended by my friend Denise and purchased many years ago. She taught me that I could do this. Before she died she gave me her original strainer that she owned many years before she met me. The one in the photo is the one I had bought.

Nothing goes to waste... I even drink the pumpkin juice pictured in the orange bowl. Yum!

Pumpkins cooked into paste.... (check); one more item completed before going to North Dakota.

No comments: