Sunday, December 23, 2007

Laptop, cards, and a cat

Mom continues to improve at Manor Care. Earlier this week we had a (Medicare mandated?) status meeting. The staff holds this type of meeting for every resident two weeks into their stay. The next time the staff will hold a meeting with the resident is in about 90 days. Gee.. that matches the time period Medicare pays for a resident's stay.

No definitive date was set for mom's release. I did get them to articulate some benchmarks they plan to use, those being her physical capacity to do stuff.

Some residents like staying here and don't want to go home. Mom's previous and current roommate both had this feeling. It seems as if the women like it here. The few men in the facility don't seem to share this like of the place. Yesterday one old man tried to open the door at the end of the hall and leave.

The facility did lend mom a laptop computer for her to use. They have a wireless router and most often we get the router's signal though a few times I have had my brother move the laptop around the room to initially pick up the signal.

Mom, Wanda (Mom's friend also at Manor Care) and I played the card game, Skipbo, this afternoon. Naturally Mom won.

The facility has a dog and cat that roam the halls to keep the residents company. Today I was told the cat is a "death cat". She apparently spends time with residents about to die. Hmm... I wonder if they are exaggerating this and are confusing it with the cat in the New England nursing home in the news this Fall who knew when people were about to die. I hope so else I don't have much time left on this Earth as the cat has been spending time with me lately and sitting on my lap.

No comments: