Thursday, December 20, 2007

Dusting off a bicycle

I haven't ridden a bicycle since coming to North Dakota. That's a long time for me. Today that changed. I decided to take advantage of the nice weather and the temperature in the mid 30s F. I needed to get out on a bicycle as I've noticed I have been gaining a few pounds since coming to North Dakota.

First I had to pump air into the tires. The bicycle I am using is my brother's spare bicycle and over the summer the tires lost air. Then I had to replace one the bicycle's inner tubes as it had a leak.

That done I headed out onto the road. I ending up riding ten miles - twice as far as I planned. Riding was a breeze and for a while I doubted I had set the bicycle computer correctly when I moved it from my brother's bicycle (which he doesn't ride in the winter) to the bicycle I was using. However I found the computer was set correctly and the mileage was correct.

I only have 5 more miles to ride by the end of the year to reach 1500 miles ridden for the year. Out of 31 years of riding, this year is my fourth lowest mileage year. This year I have ridden far less than half of my annual mileage total. That is pretty sad. I guess I've been hiking more than biking this year.

Man, it felt good to be out on a bicycle today. I even saw another guy on a bicycle going the other direction on the highway with a smile on his face so I wasn't the only who felt this way.

No comments: