Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Knitting caps

Today at Manor Care one of the physical therapist aides asked mom if she wanted to join a group to knit caps. They do this once a week every Tuesday afternoon for an hour. At the end of the year the caps are donated to the "Coats for Kids" program and given away through the Salvation Army. This past year they had made around 200 hats. Mom had had a busy day with therapy and was on the fence but I pushed her to join. I told her I would go along with her.

We arrived 15 minutes late (what's new for me? ). There were only two other ladies there. Not the turnout I had expected. Another lady had been there but her hands had gotten tired and she left already. So mom picked up where she had left off.

One didn't use knitting needles. A plastic circle with pegs was used. After a few minutes I asked for a circle and yarn as I might as well do something rather than just sit and watch. Another son visiting his mom who was doing this declined to also join in.

The circles we got already had some yarn on them so we began by wrapping two strands of yarn around along the top of each peg in the circle. Then using a hook, one hooked two lower strands up and over the two strands we had just wrapped along the top of the pegs. Once that was done we pushed the strands down to the bottom of the peg, then wrapped two more strands along the top of the pegs again. And repeat. Apparently this will eventually result in a hat. It takes a while to make a hat and in less than an hour one is nowhere near making a hat. But we made a start.

I also learned that one of the occupational therapists lives a few houses down the street from mom. Apparently she saw me walking home last night from the bar where I attended trivia night. I'm not that noticeable - the sidewalk was empty of anyone else and there were only a few other cars out in the cold and snow that night.

No comments: