Friday, December 21, 2007

Choir watching

All this week I watched the TV series, "Clash of the Choirs". A hokey, sappy show, but one I couldn't resist watching.

Thankfully they kept the auditions to a minimum. I don't mind seeing some of the auditions, it is just that watching too many terrible singers is annoying. That is part of the reason I don't watch American Idol - too much emphasis on the terrible singers auditioning.

I am getting soft as many of the choir members' back stories and enthusiasm were tearing me up. However by the end of the two hour finale, it was too much as the show squeezed in too many songs, and too many back stories. Too many and they lost their effect.

I think part of the show's appeal was that the people were realistic: not too polished, kind of awkward at times, mainly average looking, and very appreciated at being there.

And hearing a group of people enthusiastically singing together is appealing to watch.

The host, Maria Menounos, wasn't the perfect polished host, but she grew on me. She was a combination of saying the typical trite things and sometimes saying something unexpected. Even though Blake Shelton's girlfriend was in the audience, I had the impression that Maria had a crush on Blake. Women say they like a guy who can make them laugh, and Blake was a funny guy. Who knew?

Patti Labelle's choir seemed to be the best one, but Nick Lachey's choir won. I think it was because of their rendition of the song "The Flight of the Bumblebee".

No comments: