Friday, September 15, 2006

Upside down routine

My routine - if you can call it that - has been turned upside down by the change in the weather. It rained over night. Today it was now cold and wet outside.

It didn't rain all day. Once it dried the next rain cloud came and made everything wet again. In between rain events I picked apples, later rode to the grocery store and made it back just before it began to rain again, and worked briefly on my shed's insulation project. I tried to feed the cattle apples and some broccoli plants but the rain chased me inside before I could finish. But not before I got wet.

Since I had to spend part of my day inside I made another apple pie. If I can't feed the apples to the cattle, may as well make something for me.

Tonight's forecast low was 36 F. After the early evening rain quit the clouds left. All the mountains had clouds ringing them, but no clouds were above me or much of the valley to keep it warmer overnight. *sigh* I better not chance it freezing overnight. Even when the days' high temperature were in the 70s F, the lows were in the 30s. Today's high was 53 F (brrr!). The temperature by 9 pm was already down to 39 F. I covered my garden, or at least what I wanted to protect. Zucchinis - you're on your own!

Wouldn't ya know it - dry much of the year, but when I have to cover my garden the ground is wet and muddy to walk on.

I had to make do with a few less tarps to cover my garden. I had used a few to cover the hay Dan brought Wednesday for the cattle to eat Friday. I didn't want the hay to get wet so I rolled it back up into two rolls and covered the hay with tarps. Unroll... roll. Nothing like doing things multiple times.

Sitting around much of the day made me hungry. Usually when I work all day I don't get hungry. Huh? Isn't that backward?

Since I was inside after 8 pm (early!) I made a real supper. My first full supper in many weeks. Now I feel stuffed and am not hungry for pie for dessert. I want my old routine back! I always had room for pie!

No comments: