Friday, September 08, 2006

Cattle in the middle

I hiked to Iceberg Lake today. It was a very nice hike. The water was... ice cold. Yes, I went in the lake. We saw 7 bears today: 4 black bears and 3 grizzles. I'll write more about the hike later.

Tonight I let the cattle back into the middle pasture as part of my pasture rotation. I wanted to do this for a number of days now; but I also wanted to finish clearing the middle pasture of pocket gophers. Each day when I thought I had trapped my last pocket gopher I would find another mound of dirt on my way to open the gates. It happened again tonight. More fresh mounds of dirt. But as the cattle's days here are winding down, I decided to let them into the middle pasture tonight and wait till the cattle leave in a few weeks before returning to get the final pocket gophers.

I can't trap and have cattle nearby as they knock over my traps' marking sticks and sometimes step on the traps.

The cattle were in the south pasture making their way to the hayfield when they saw me in the middle pasture by the hayfield. Me = apples + bread. So after they saw me, they made a beeline for me. When they found they could enter the middle pasture where I was they immediately went to checking out the grass and most forgot me, though a few came by to lick my hand.

Several stragglers came out of the trees in the back and when they saw the herd in the middle pasture, came galloping over. They didn't want to miss out.

No comments: