Friday, September 22, 2006

Making jam on a rainy day

I shouldn't have written anything about it being nice that it only rained in the morning and at night and was dry during the day. It has rained much of the day today. It started late this morning with a strong wind that blew over the top of the house and well into the front yard leaves from the patio trees. Then came a heavy downpour with the wind noisily slamming the rain against many of the windows. It reminded me of summer rains back in the Midwest, not here.

Therefore today was an opportunity to finally make jam from the rest of my huckleberries. I know, I picked them in July so they are getting long in the tooth. While not fresh, they still were good for jam. I made two batches. I was a little short for my second batch so I added some extra cherries. Huckleberry/cherry jam. Never tried it before. I don't know if the combination will work. As I was told in Thailand years ago: "Never try, never know".

With all the rain the grass is greening up again. Typical. Every year after I sell my cattle it starts to rain and green up again. It doesn't matter when I sell the cattle - mid August to the end of September - a few days after the cattle are gone the rains start.

No comments: