Thursday, September 21, 2006

Chainsaw and insulation on a cool day

The weather may be cool and wet, but it is working out fine so far. It starts raining before sunset and rains off and on throughout the night. By mid morning the rain quits and it warms up to the 50s F. So one can get outside to do things during the day.

Last night I caught a small mouse, or maybe a shrew, in my mousetrap by the washing machine. I thought I had heard noises in the ceiling or wall before I fell asleep last night. Wonder if I will hear the same noises tonight?

I fired up the chainsaw and cut up the tree trunks of the trees felled by the beavers across the road. The chainsaw does make the cutting easier but I find my arms and upper body gets tired and sore the next day. Probably from the chainsaw's vibration, and partly because I may need to have the chain sharpened again.

No pocket gophers caught today. Wonder if they are not active today because the ground is wet.

I heard the Missoula Livestock auction summary from last Thursday on the radio today. Sounds like their cattle market was good, and maybe even up a little. It is hard to figure out where to sell ones cattle. Different auctions have different rhythms, and the same auction can vary so much from week to week. A few cents per pounds may not sound like much, but when you are talking about an 800+ lb animal, the amount can add up.

I finished up the last stuff to do with the well. I also placed in the shed a small electric heater and a light bulb. The light bulb gives off enough heat to keep the shed warm down to an outside temperature of almost 0 F. Each year I usually scramble the evening of cold temperatures to get the stuff in place. Even so I couldn't find the light bulb and cord over the last few days of looking. Then the light bulb came on (*snicker*) in my head and I realized since I repositioned the outlet in the shed closer to the door I can now reach to plug and unplug a light bulb directly into the outlet. I found another plug-in light bulb to use.

I also put the remaining insulation to use. I put a few batts (the very thick ones) in the attic. The rest of the batts went along a few walls in the crawl space.

While in the attic I found that the mousetrap I had left there this summer was empty of peanut butter, and not triggered. I guess I didn't have chunky peanut butter when I set it. Must be why the shrews came down to the washing machine's trap.

No comments: