Thursday, March 21, 2024

Trees. Tree branches.

The past week or so I've been chain sawing trees and tree branches.

First I cut up the small branches from the tree that fell in January.   I hauled them back home and put on my pile of branches to use next Winter in my woodstove.   I also cut up some of the branches I had gathered and stacked last year but never cut.



Then I cut some smaller trees in the middle pasture.  These are younger trees that are growing close to one another.  The past few years I have been cutting down some of them to give the others room to grow.  I only do a few in a group each year.  Years ago I cut all but the few I wanted to grow in one area.   Then later when it got really windy the remaining trees broke off.  They weren't used to swaying in the wind.  Now I do a tree or two at a time so they can get use to swaying in a strong wind and can get a tolerance to do so.



Another group.  I left the stump a little tall.  The cattle like to rub on them when they get an itch.



Not a lot of tree trunks to these young trees.  Here are the trunks of the three trees I cut here today.



An example if I didn't cut some of the young trees.   See how these old trees are split or how two trees grow so close together.



I got 10 of these young trees cut in the middle pasture. I'm done doing this type of trimming this year. I also need to replace my chainsaw chain. The chain is stretched. They just don't last long these days.

No comments: