Tuesday, March 12, 2024

January's fallen tree cutup

A few days ago I worked on cutting up the tree that blew over last January.  I spent part of one afternoon cutting up the tree.  Then part of another afternoon stacking the cut logs.  I wanted everything out of the way when I harrow the pasture later.  Since the tree was very much alive when it blew over the cut logs will have to sit for a year or so to dry out.


Later I will rake this left-over stuff to clean the area nicely.



As you can see the tree trunk got bigger as I went along.



Enough dirt is around the roots to hold the trunk off the ground as I got closer to the roots.  That made cutting easier.



This part of the trunk was so big I had to cut from one side then the other to cut the log off the tree.   This part of the tree is out of the way from harrowing so I plan to leave it this way until it dries.



Stacked, the trunk doesn't look as much as it did when laying down.  Those are the side branches I plan to later cut so I can use as firewood in my wood stove.  The other smaller branches I got rid of.

No comments: