Monday, March 18, 2024

Panda's calf still not banded

Early afternoon Donna and I attempted to band Panda's calf.  Still only one testicle has dropped.  Later Donna's daughter's husband, Michael, came over at 4:30 pm to help.  We worked and worked and worked.  We had to put Panda in the other part of the corral as she was crowding us trying to check on her calf.  Rusty and Max (Michael's dog) were in the corral also.  Panda was not happy when the dogs approached us to help.

We tried working on the calf when it was laying and when it was standing. One testicle down, no problem.  They eventually found the other testicle up high.  It is a smaller testicle.  They couldn't get it to come down.   I later called Larry.   He helped Donna and I a few years ago when I had the same thing with two calves.   Larry, Donna and I will try tomorrow afternoon in getting both testicles down.

In between the times we tried to band Panda's calf I went to Donna's to chainsaw and cut a few tree branches.  I had to climb an extension ladder to reach the branches.   I was halfway through one branch when the branch split and partially came down.  The end where I was cutting bent and trapped my chainsaw blade and chain.   The branch was still up high so I couldn't reach the end to put it down enough to release my chainsaw.  And I didn't want to do so as I didn't want my chainsaw to drop to the ground from on high.  I had to use a handsaw to cut the branch enough so it would release the chainsaw.  This was a hassle as I was up high on a ladder; I had to reach around the chainsaw to cut the branch, had to ensure the chainsaw didn't drop when released, and had to ensure the whole branch didn't drop and fall a certain way that would hit me or the ladder.   I worked slow and got it all done successfully.

I took a break and petted and rubbed Rusty.  He was so happy.  He got so relaxed he looked like he may be falling asleep as his eyes were closing.

No comments: