Friday, March 15, 2024

2024: Calf 3 - 62's

Thursday afternoon another calf was born.  In the afternoon I went for a bicycle ride.  On the way I stopped and removed /changed the winter tires from Donna's car.  Then I trimmed some tree branches by her driveway near her garage.  When I got back home I discovered I now had three calves in the corral.  The cattle were in the corral today waiting for me to put out a new large hay bale by evening.  The mother had a calf before so she didn't need any help from me to have her calf.

The calf is another female calf.  That makes three in a row.  She was laying next to her mother along the east corral fence.  I was able to put an ear tag in the calf's ear as the calf was young enough it couldn't outrun me.


After I put out the hay bale I let the cattle out of the corral.  62 and her calf stayed in the corral along the fence.  So I left the gates open.  When they are ready they will go out to the hay bale.

Calf 1 went out with her mother.  Calf 2 stayed laying along the loading corral fence.  After the cattle left the calf got up.  I herded her out of the corral.  Then herded her to the gate to the middle pasture.  In the middle pasture she didn't head to where the cattle were at the feeder.  Instead she started walking south along the pasture / hayfield fence.   When she got halfway her mother saw and mooed for her.   She didn't get the 'memo' so her mother then walked / ran after her.  Once they were together I let them be.

No comments: