Sunday, March 17, 2024

2024: Calf 4 - Panda's

This morning I found that Panda finally had her calf.  Probably late last night or early this morning as the calf was clean and alert when I first saw him.  This calf is a boy.

Donna came over by 3 pm.  Panda and her calf were at the far end of the middle pasture.  I almost got to the calf before it jumped up and took off.   Panda and the calf then walked along the middle north pasture barb wire fence.  The calf tried to get through the fence.  Failed.   We continued to walk along the fence.  The second attempt.  Success.  The calf walked along the fence in the north pasture and Panda along the fence in the middle pasture.  When we got to a point where the top fence wire was broken I was able to get to the north pasture and grab the calf.  I sat on the calf and waited for Donna to reach us.  Panda was upset I had her calf.  She reached through the fence to her calf.  Just before Donna got there Panda jumped over the fence.  So I now had Panda and her calf around me.

The calf's scrotum was on the small side.  Normally Haynes' calves have large scrotums and it is easy for Donna to band them.   Donna found that only one ball - oopps, Donna will correct me once again - the testicle had dropped.   We need two testicles down before we can band the calf.  We tried and tried and gave up.  We will try again tomorrow.   I did put the ear tag on the calf today.

Since Panda and her calf were in the north pasture we herded them into the corral.  That way tomorrow we won't have as much running after the calf to do.  The calves get stronger and faster each day.

When I first saw Panda and her calf this morning.  It looks like the calf has Haynes' hairdo.  I should have guessed it was a boy calf before I looked.



Donna in action when we were herding them to the corral.  Panda didn't want to go into the corral.



We wanted Panda and her calf in the south part of the corral so Donna herded them out of the loafing shed.



No comments: