Friday, March 22, 2024

2024: Calf 5 - No Tail's

When I checked on the cattle after 5:30 pm, no calves.  But I noticed No Tail.  She doesn't have a tail so one can't see when the tail rises at the hip bone when a cow gets closer to having a calf.  But she was standing while all the others were laying and chewing their cuds.  And No Tail's udder was larger than normal.  So she was getting close.

Before 8:30 pm I checked again.  No Tail was laying with her calf.  The calf was licked off but not completely dry.   The calf is a male.

Our weather is cooler lately and there is snow in the forecast this weekend.  So I got the plastic sled and put the calf on it.   He only got off the sled once.  Otherwise he just laid there as I pulled him along.  No Tail followed us.  They were in the middle pasture and I wanted them in the south part of the corral overnight.  They could get out of the wind.  And out of the snow if it snows.   Tomorrow Donna will come over and we will band the calf.   Hopefully both of his testicles will have dropped.

In the corral.

No comments: