Saturday, August 12, 2023

Apples for the cattle, and hornets/wasps

It's that time of the year.  Apples for my cattle.  Some of the apples from my trees are falling to the ground.  More apples are falling to the ground from the neighbor's trees.  And on one of the neighbor's trees there are so many apples a decent sized branch broke.  I may have to start picking apples directly from that tree so other branches don't break.

The first photo was taken 4 days ago.  The second photo was taken today.  And I give the cattle a bag or two of apples each day.  Initially they were surprised when I gave them the first bag of apples; now they expect apples when they see me out in the pasture and will moo to let me know that.


I am almost done trapping pocket gophers for now.  I have one spot in the pasture and one spot in the hayfield.  Tonight when trying to dig a hole to set a trap in the last spot in the pasture, I uncovered a hornet/wasp nest in the ground.  Suddenly there was a swarm of them.  I couldn't get away fast enough.  And one wasp/hornet would not stop and I had to go away much farther than usual.  I got stung on my right wrist, my left forearm, and on my left check an inch below my eye.  This the second time I got stung near my eye.  And again it is slightly affecting my vision.  The very bottom of my vision on my left side/eye, a small area, is slightly blurry/not focused.  Last time it went back to normal after a day or two.  This is annoying.

No comments: