Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Tractor fixed. Toby jumps.

I got my tractor fixed today and got it back a little before 5 pm.  The slow down and occasional speed up cause... debris in the fuel tank.  And not what you think would be debris.  This was a gooey chalky substance.  It was strange.  The owner said he had to check it out after the employee discovered it in the fuel tank.  The gooey chalky substance moved about and would thicken and thin.  That was why the speed up / slow down was intermittent.   The owner and employee were surprised this was my problem.  How did this get in my tank?   When I put diesel in the tank?  Most likely not as then I wouldn't be the only person with this problem as other people bought diesel from the gas station.  When the RDO John Deere repair shop worked on my fuel tank and fuel gauge in June? They did something / dropped something in the tank?  Something that dissolved somewhat in the diesel?  Most likely, as this problem started to occur shortly after I picked up my tractor in June from John Deere.

After I got my tractor I started to again cut my hayfield.  I worked for over three hours.  Not a problem with the tractor.  It ran like it did before I had RDO John Deere work on my tractor.

I now have 14 rows cut. That should be half my field - even though when looking at the field it doesn't seem like half of the field is cut.  If everything goes right tomorrow, and if I am lucky, maybe I can get the rest cut tomorrow. Mostly like I'll finish cutting the day after tomorrow.


While I was waiting for my tractor to be repaired I looked out at the cattle in the pastures.  Wait a minute.  One of the cattle looks to be checking out other cattle.  Is that Toby?  He should be in the north pasture, not the middle pasture.  I went out and checked.  Yes, it was Toby.  So I had to go and check the north/middle pasture fence.  I found where he jumped over the fence.  It is amazing he didn't break the top single strand of old wire.  He did stretch it a lot when he jumped.   A few sections over I found where the wire came apart.  The wire didn't break.  Two parts of the wire were connected, and now the connection was straightened and then came apart. 

I got tools and fixed the wire.  I don't know how Toby was able to stretch the wire across several posts as to fix and straighten the wire I had to detach the wire from the steel fence posts in order to move and straighten the wire, even when using my fence stretcher tool to pull the wire.

Stretched wire.

Unconnected wire.


In the pasture I checked that the other cows and calves were in the north pasture.  Yes, they were.  Diamond's calf looks cute.

I also walked to the river.  I seen the beaver got back to the willow trees where he/she got to earlier. The beaver chewed off more of the willow trees.   Even though I had fixed the fence after the last time, I saw two new spots where it appeared the beaver may have gotten through.  I made more repairs to the fencing and I'll see if this finally stops this beaver.  I hope so.  Not a lot of some of the willow trees left.  On some other willow trees elsewhere I seen the beaver climbed a couple of the fencing and then chewed a few small branches.   This beaver is determined to get to my willow trees.

No comments: