Saturday, August 21, 2021

"No Tail" and beavers

This morning when I was moving irrigation pipes "No Tail" was in the neighbor's field eating grass.  That didn't take long.  So I herded her back into the north pasture.  This time, because I just improved the fence, she couldn't get through the fence and back to the herd in the other pastures.  This afternoon she was calling out for her calf.  I then herded her calf into the north pasture to be with mom.  The calf immediately started drinking.  Now "No Tail's" calf is in the north pasture with his mother, Diamond, Maria, Toby and Muscles.  No other calves.   Then this evening after I finished moving irrigation pipes the calf and his friend in the other pasture were calling out to one another as they wanted to be together. 

Today I also noticed the beaver got to and chewed on one of the three willow trees I had recently put extra wire fencing around.  I think one of the parts of the fence I hadn't put extra wiring around is how it got through.  So I added extra wire to that part of the fence.  Now to see if that works and protects the willow trees.

What's left of one willow tree after the beaver got to it.


Last week when standing and looking at the river and the willow tree area, after a while I briefly noticed a small animal just below me and on the river bank outside the fenced area around some willow trees.  It wasn't a beaver.  The animal was long and black and thin with short hair.  Maybe a river otter?  It maybe looked more like a weasel.  I'm not sure.

No comments: