Thursday, August 12, 2021

Toby and beavers and willows

A few days ago Toby and Maria walked up river and went to my neighbor's field as he left his gate open.  So I put Toby and Maria in the north pasture along with Diamond and Muscles.  For a few days Toby was fine.  Then yesterday he walked along the north/middle pasture fence mooing and wanting to go join the herd in the south pasture.  I didn't let him go.  Then this morning as I was moving irrigation pipes here comes Toby walking in the middle pasture over to the south pasture fence, then the gate, and then on to the herd who were in the SW part of the south pasture.  Later I saw Toby near Beulah.  This evening when I moved irrigation pipes again Toby was licking Beulah's back.  So maybe Beulah is in heat.

How did Toby get from the north pasture to the middle pasture?  I checked the fence.  He didn't break it.  But the top wire on part of the fence was bent low.  Toby - as massive as he is - jumped over the fence.  He must have stretched the top wire and it somehow didn't break.   I added a short piece of wire to the three strands of wire to hold the top wire high, as marked by the red circle in the photo.  One of these years I will get around to rebuilding this section of fence.




Later I noticed the tree stump I had left in the north pasture for the cattle to rub against, was rubbed again.  Mostly likely Toby rubbed on it to make it look like this.


Also in the north pasture, along the river, I noticed the beavers had been working to get around the small fence and wire work I did last year to protect the willow trees.  One section they pulled over part of the fence and got to several trees.  Another section with limited fence/wire work they ate the willow above the fence/wire work.

So after the irrigation pipes had been moved, and the fence fixed due to Toby's jump, I added more fence and wire work to a few areas around the willows.

Here are a few of the photos.






After a few more small projects, that was my morning.  After a late breakfast I went to sleep at 2 pm and slept the afternoon away in the heat to get my hours of sleep.  I can sleep no problem.  Yesterday I had a MRI of my head and the cyst growing in it.  I fell asleep during the MRI.  If you ever had a MRI you know how loud they are.  Still, I fell asleep.

No comments: