Monday, August 23, 2021

Irrigation, apples, boards

Today I finished irrigating the pastures and tonight I turned my irrigation pump off.   Yay!!!  No more getting up early and moving the irrigation pipes at 7 am this year.  Maybe I can get my life and sleep and work back to normal.

I am now waiting to cut my hayfield a second time this year.  The recent rain, and predicted rain this coming weekend, has stopped the cutting for now.  I want to cut and bale it and be done for the year.


After waking up after noon from all my sleep today, I went with Donna to pick apples that a guy was giving away as his tree was loaded with apples.  Might be transparent apples as he claims.  But many of these apples were huge. The apples looked similar to transparent apples, but they might be a Lodi apples.  I have a tree that has transparent apples.

https://www.eatlikenoone.com/transparent-apple.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodi_(apple)

https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguide/TreeDetail.cfm?ItemID=720

I borrowed his ladder and climbed on high.  Some apples were twice the size of my fist.  Donna wanted the apples to make applesauce and apple crisp. We filled her car's trunk and most of her backseat.  We think she may have more apples than what she needs as I got carried away picking the apples.  She already made apple crisp and brought me some tonight.  I also filled a few buckets with apples that had fallen on the ground.  They bruise very easily.  These apples I give to the cows.   I gave a bucket of the apples to the cattle tonight.  The cattle got so excited, after I fed them all the apples in the bucket, I had to keep watching they wouldn't run me over in hopes of getting more apples before I got out of the pasture.


Since I didn't have to move irrigation pipes tonight I finally restacked some of the old boards that were/had fallen over earlier this year.  My stacks are high, but I have a feeling the cattle pushed against the boards to make part of the stack to lean over.   All the reddish boards had fallen/leaned over onto the rolls of barb wire.  It took me over two and a half hours to restack the boards.

No comments: