Monday, August 02, 2021

Rain and fallen tree

It rained last night.  The first time in a month.  .36 inches last night.  We certainly needed the rain.  I didn't see the rain as Donna wanted company at the Travis Tritt music concert last night.  This is the fourth time she has seen Travis in concert.


It started to rain shortly after we got inside the building and had quit by the time the concert was over.  Being inside a large metal building with no windows and loud music, I didn't realize how much it had rained until the concert was over.

When the front came with the rain apparently the wind picked up and blew 31 mph with gusts to 41 mph from mainly the SE.  We usually don't get high winds from that direction.  This morning after moving irrigation pipes - yes, I am still irrigating - I saw that in the middle pasture a tree was broken off by the wind.  This is a tree that for some reason has been fighting to stay alive and healthy the past couple of years.  Now the tree is partly gone.



In the afternoon I had a handsaw and cut off some of the fallen tree's branches.  The cattle saw me in the pasture and had to come over to check out what I was doing.  So I quit.


On another tree where a very large branch had cracked and fell a few weeks ago, I also trimmed a few of the slimmer side branches from the large branch.  Again, the cattle had to check out what I was doing.




Mama cow kept her distance and watched how the other cows were acting.


The large fallen tree is annoying.  Another tree to cut up.  Nearby I had cut up and removed another fallen tree this past Spring.  Now I have another tree to cut up to make harrowing easier; and also make it easier to lay an irrigation sprinkler line when I irrigate the pasture as the tree happened to fall right where one line goes.


Fortunately none of the cattle were under the tree when it broke off and fell.

No comments: