Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Tractor tire fixed

Today I got my repaired tractor tire back.  I had called Les Schwab tire center Monday morning and was told a person wouldn't be out until Tuesday morning as they were busy and one of the people who does service calls was off work that Monday.

So I rode my bicycle to the new Harbor Freight store and bought a breaker bar as I didn't have one.


Then I jacked up my tractor and began to remove the tire's lug nuts.  Between the bar's leverage and my strength I immediately broke in two the 13/16 socket.  And this was an old SK socket, not some cheap Chinese junk steel.  With a different socket I carefully removed the lug nuts and took the tire off.



It takes two people to lift the tire into the pickup.  My neighbor Curtis helped me get the tire into my pickup.  The tire was too big to close the tailgate.



The tire has an inner tube.  When I bought the tractor, John, the salesman, thought the tires had calcium chloride in them as ballast.  (https://countrysidenetwork.com/daily/homesteading/tractors-farm-equipment/ballast-the-tractor-tire-fluids-rundown/)   Apparently not.  The tire was plenty heavy without liquid inside it.

As you can see below the tire had two punctures from two harrow spikes.  Les Schwab patched the tube and $48 later I am back in business.


This evening I started harrowing the south pasture.

No comments: