Thursday, April 26, 2018

Seed

Today I got the seed for my hayfield.  I got an alfalfa and orchard grass mix.  The mix is 80% alfalfa and 20% orchard grass.   The orchard grass is suppose to grow again after the first cutting.  Previously the grass in my hayfield was broome grass and that grass never really grew much after the first cutting.  So the second cutting of the field was mostly alfalfa.

I bought the seed from a seed supplier in Ronan, Montana.  They were $120+ cheaper than the feed supplier in Kalispell.  So today - a very nice day - I went on a road trip to Ronan.  140 miles roundtrip.   A benefit was I was able to stop and have lunch at the excellent Thai restaurant in Polson, MT.    For my 15 acre hayfield the cost for 300 pounds of seed custom mixed was $1,220.   Yeh... not cheap.

I am waiting for the ground to warm up more.  The past few days have been in the 60s and the next two days are supposed to be in the 70s.  That should do it.  The plan was then to plant early next week.  Except the weather forecast has lots of rain Sunday through Tuesday and much colder temperatures.  So I'll see what the conditions are next week.

Once the seed is planted and growing I'll be happier.  I am storing the seed in my garage.  I told Daisy to watch for mice.  When I unloaded the bags I found a dead mouse on the garage floor that Daisy had caught earlier.

300 pounds of seed.   6 bags.  50 pounds each.


No comments: