Monday, May 01, 2017

Starting to harrow

It still rains each day, but lately the time it rains each day is getting less.  So I am getting a few things done.

I finally got the south and middle pastures cleaned up of the many trees I had chainsawed last Fall.  Plus I cleaned up tree branches that broke off over Winter.  Some of the trees' wood I had cut was soft and that is not good for firewood.  So I piled up the wood against the tree stumps for later burning.

A few of the 'cleaned' trees.

Once the pastures were cleaned up I was able to finally drag a harrow to break up the cow manure.  Usually I finish this task the beginning on April, not start it the beginning of May.

First I had take apart the harrow conglomeration I used last year.  Those harrow sections were now beat up pieces.  I then put together a new harrow conglomeration from other harrow sections I have.



I no longer have a long bar, or pipe, on which to attached side by side sections.  So you can see what happens once I pull the harrow conglomeration.   It is not as 'pretty' but it still gets the job done.



In the past I pulled the harrows with my pickup.  This year I am pulling the harrows with my tractor.   The tractor's cab is higher than the pickup so I can't get as close to the trees as I could with the pickup, but that may be ok as that reduces the chance my harrows catch tree roots.   Still, the cattle often leave plenty of manure under the trees where they lay.  Over time, areas with lots of manure, can kill the tree.

Today I finished dragging the harrow across the south pasture.  This is important as I have to access the south pasture via the hayfield in order to not catch the harrows on the irrigation pipe that runs along the south/middle pasture gate.  With all this rain I still do not have the hayfield planted.  I wanted to complete the south pasture before the hayfield is planted.

Now if it continues to rain I still can drag the harrows so hopefully I will get the other pastures done soon.  The grass is starting to grow and I need to complete the harrow work before the grass gets too tall.

No comments: