Saturday, May 06, 2017

Harrow work and Apricot blossoms

Friday I finished dragging the harrows across all of my pastures.  I also drug it across my northern neighbor's pasture.  Well... all my pastures except the NE pasture.  The grass has grown too much in this pasture, and this pasture doesn't have many cow pies to break up.

Now that the harrow work is done, and the grass is growing, I decided to hem the cattle in near the corral and not let them wander the whole northern pasture. This mean putting up a large number of temporary corral panels.  This time I pounded a metal t-post next to each panel as the cattle push against the panels when the grass grows on the other side and the cattle have moved the line of panels.

Earlier on Thursday afternoon I had to fix the northern fence.  The cattle were eating through the fence to get at the grass in that pasture.  They broke a number of old wooden fence posts.  I put in seven metal t-posts and two wooden posts for now.  I hadn't planned on rebuilding this fence this year as I have other fencing plans.  But now this fence is at the top of the list for rebuilding.  Once again the cattle re-ordered my work priorities.

Somehow when pulling the harrows across the uneven pastures this affected my tractor's fuel tank.  After my last fill of diesel I noticed a slow drip.  Even though I have used some of the diesel, the drips continues.  I looked today and tightened some hose clamps but the drip continues and I can't see from where.  It looks like I will have to take the tank off the tractor to find the leak.  That's not going to be fun.

This morning I noticed my apricot trees have blossoms.  This fruit tree type is usually the first tree to blossom.  With this cold and wet weather the blossoms are late as they usually happen earlier in April.

The blossoms are on only part of the trees.  Last year the cattle were fixated on eating the trees' leaves and got to some of them.  The lower leaves on the taller tree and the top leaves on the shorter tree.

Dang them cattle.




No comments: