Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Scours again?

Monday Buster's stool was solid and a good color.  Tuesday morning he didn't have an appetite and while waiting for him to get up and come over to drink from Big Red, he had diarrhea.  Projectile diarrhea!

He slowly wandered around sniffing various grasses and ignoring Red who was in the loading ramp ready for Buster to drink.  In the next 15-20  minutes he had two more episodes of diarrhea.  The color wasn't a chalky white, but it wasn't his normal color either.

I called the vet.  Calves can get scours more than once.  $29.20 later and I had more probiotic and electrolyte formula.  So... I have to go through this again.  Buster is older and spunkier than the first time he was ill.  But when cattle get diarrhea then can go downhill really fast and die.  So in the afternoon and again this evening I put a tube down his throat and filled him with water.  Buster is older and stronger now.  The second time I gave Buster the water formula I had to chase him around the corral before I caught him.

In the morning I'll see how he is doing.  Maybe he has scours or maybe he had a quick bug and is back to normal.

More extra work I don't need.  I had hoped to have completed the harrow work on the middle pasture today.  Instead I got only half of the pasture completed.


Sunday, Rusty dumped in the pasture a pickup load of cut green grass from when he mowed his yard.  The cattle loved it.  Therefore, come evening they had a little bit of the left over hay left in their feeder.  Because of Buster's diarrhea I don't dare let the cattle into the corral while I get a new large hay bale.  So, even through normally I would wait until morning, and when the cattle finished all the hay in their feeder, I took advantage of help from Curtis this evening to keep the cattle away while I moved a new large hay bale to the pasture for the cattle.


No comments: