Tuesday, May 30, 2017

NE pasture fence

Last week I posted about redoing the NE pasture's gate.  At the same time I continued on to rebuild the entire NE pasture fence that goes along the road.   The fence and wire were very old and I held my breath every time the cattle were in this pasture.  If the cows broke through the fence it was a very short hop to get on the road.  And the road has a slight bend at this point so it is not a good place for cattle to be.

This not an especially long section of fence but it still took a few days as I replaced all the posts and wire.  Similar to the corner where I have the gate, I used boards for several fence sections on the other corner.

Before

After



For the fence wire I used barbless wire.  I also strong eight strands on the posts, up from the four strands previously.   I tried not to make the strands to tight as that usually causes the end posts to lean a bit.  A few days later I have trouble unchaining the gate to open it as the end post had a touch f a lean to it.

Now tonight I found number 7 with her head through the wires and eating grass from the ditch. Even with eight wires close to together she got here head through the fence.   Maybe I should have used wire with barbs on it.  Now that all the grass in the NE pasture had been partially eaten, cow number 7 wanted virgin untouched grass in the ditch.  A few of the wire looked to be stretched a little bit and were now loose.  I'll have to look at it tomorrow.





This tree in the corner was touched by fire some years ago.  That s why the bark looks like this.





View of the gate from the road.

No comments: