Saturday, May 13, 2017

Calf photos

A few days ago before the rain and cooler temperatures arrived I took a few photos of the calves.  Most of the photos are of Mama's calf.








I am still waiting on the last two cows to give birth.  Sugar looks really close to calving.  Her udder has swollen up with milk and is humongous. For a number of days now I have thought she could give birth any time now.

Last week it appeared Buster was getting milk from Big Red as over a two day period he never was hungry when I penned Red up for Buster to drink from.  So I let them out to join the rest of the cattle. Last night and this morning I saw Buster drinking milk from Red.  She stood still so he could drink.  Nice to actually know he was getting milk from her.

I bought three more large hay bales.  Dan needed more hay and he found a good deal on hay.  While I thought I had more than enough hay to last the Winter, the colder and longer Winter caused more hay to be eaten.  I have three bales left and they would have been eaten before the end of next week.  I want to extend time on hay to allow the grass to grow more.   While the warm weather last week caused the grass to grow, I want it a little taller before letting the cattle out on it.

No comments: